Canadian Experience Class

To file your application in the category of Canadian Experience class through Express Entry, you must have

(A) Work Experience

Minimum 12 months of full time skilled work experience in Canada, in the last three years (when you apply) or an equal amount in part-time

For the category of Canadian Experience Class , you need to have Canadian skilled work experience within three years of applying. According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC),

skilled work experience means:

  • Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

Request a Call Back

    Your experience must be at least
    • 12 months of full-time work
    o 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours), OR
    • equal amount in part-time hours, such as:
    o 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

    You must show that you did the duties set out in the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the main duties listed. If you don’t show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, we will not accept your application.

    Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (such as on a co-op work term) doesn’t count under this program. You must have Gained your work experience in Canada with the proper authorization

    (B) Education

    There is no education requirement for Canadian Experience Class. But you can earn points for your education under Express Entry, if:

    • you went to school in Canada, and have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
    o secondary (high school) or
    o post-secondary school
    • you have foreign education, and you have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency showing that your foreign education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
    o secondary (high school) or
    o post-secondary school
    You'll only benefit from getting an ECA if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian high school diploma or greater.
    (C) Language ability

    you must meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability in *writing *reading *listening *speaking

    You must: meet the minimum language level of:

    o Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs OR
    o Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for NOC B jobs
    • take a language test approved by CIC that shows you meet the level for:
    • *writing *reading *listening *speaking

    You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French by including the test results when you complete your Express Entry profile. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence or you will need to retake the test.

    Principal applicant

    The person who is invited to apply and submits an application is the “principal applicant.” If you're married or live with a common-law foreign national partner in Canada, and that person also meets the requirements, either or both of you can fill out an Express Entry profile.

    A common-law partner is a person who has lived with you in a marriage-like relationship for at least one year. Common-law partner refers to both opposite-sex and same-sex couples.

    Other requirements

    • You must be admissible to Canada • You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec

    Note: The province of Quebec does not use Express Entry.
    They select their own skilled workers.
    Use our FREE ASESSMENT TOOL to see if you meet the criteria to get into the Express Entry pool