Fedral Skill Class

To file your application in the category of Federal Skilled class through Express Entry, you must have

(A) Skilled work experience

  • in the same type of job as your primary NOC - at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC)
  • at least 1 year within the last 10 years
  • at least 1 year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
The experience must be of paid work, volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count.
You must show that you did the duties set out in the occupational description in the NOC. This includes most of the main duties listed.
f you can’t show that your work experience meets the description in the NOC, you aren’t eligible under this program.


Request a Call Back

    (B) Language ability

    You must: take an approved language test that shows you meet the level for:

    *writing *reading *listening *speaking
    get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all four abilities
    include the test results in your Express Entry profile. You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.

    (C) Education

    If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary school

    If you have foreign education, you must have:

    an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency showing that your foreign education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:

    secondary (high school) or post-secondary school

    (D) Selection factors

    If you meet all the conditions set out in the minimum requirements, we’ll assess your application based on these selection factors:

    • age
    • education
    • work experience
    • whether you have a valid job offer
    • English and/or French language skills
    • adaptability (how well you’re likely to settle here)

    These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess federal skilled workers. You earn points for how well you do in each of the six factors. Your total points will show if you qualify for the Express Entry pool. The current pass mark is 67 points.

    (E) Proof of funds

    You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada, unless you:

    • are currently able to legally work in Canada
    • have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada

    Principal applicant

    If you are applying on your own, you are the principal applicant.
    If you have a live-in partner, either you or they can apply under Express Entry as a principal applicant if:
    o you are:
    o married
    common-law partners, which means you: are an opposite-sex or same-sex couple
    have lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least one year
    both meet the requirements to apply as a Federal Skilled Worker

    The principal applicant should be the one of you most likely to:
    • meet the eligibility requirements
    • earn the most points in the section factors
    • earn the most points under the Comprehensive Ranking System for Express Entry

    Other requirements

    • You must be admissible to Canada
    • You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec

    Note: The province of Quebec does not use Express Entry.

    They select their own skilled workers.

    If you have skilled work experience and want to live in Canada permanently, use our FREE ASESSMENT TOOL to see if you’re eligible for the Express Entry pool.