Parents/Grand Parents


Any relative immigrating to Canada within the Family Class must have a sponsor. Both the person sponsoring a relative and the person wishing to immigrate to Canada must meet certain requirements.

Applicants for permanent residence must go through: medical exams, criminal checks, background checks

An applicant with a criminal record may not be allowed to enter Canada. People who pose a risk to Canada’s security are not allowed to enter Canada. The applicant may have to provide a certificate from police authorities in the home country.

Who is eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent

You can sponsor your parent or grandparent if you’re 18 years of age or older, living in Canada and a:


Request a Call Back

    • Canadian citizen or
    • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
    • permanent resident of Canada

    If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after we approve you as a sponsor.

    Your responsibilities

    When you sponsor a parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must:

    • meet certain income requirements
    • support that person and their dependants financially

    You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that:

    • commits you to provide financial support for your relative (and any other eligible relatives accompanying them):
      • for a period of three to 20 years
      • depending on their age and relationship to you
      • beginning on the date they become a permanent resident
    • states that the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support themselves

    Dependent children under age 19 do not have to sign the agreement.

    Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec. This is a contract that binds your sponsorship.

    Who isn’t eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent

    You may not be eligible to sponsor your parent or grandparent if you:

    • are in prison
    • defaulted on an immigration loan (late or missed payments)
    • have declared bankruptcy and haven’t been released from it yet
    • received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
    • didn’t pay a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
    • didn’t provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
    • were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence.