Who can become a sponsor

You can sponsor your Spouse or children if you are:

  • at least 18 years old
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident living in Canada:
  • if you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident
  • you can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • have enough income to provide for basic needs of any grandchildren (dependent children of a dependent child) of the principal applicant

  • If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.


    Request a Call Back

      Whom you can sponsor

      You can sponsor a:

      • spouse
      • common-law partner
      • conjugal partner
      • dependent child

      To be eligible for permanent residence, the principal applicant and any dependants must not be inadmissible to Canada.

      Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner

      You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if:

      • he or she is at least 18 years old
      • your relationship is genuine (real) and wasn’t entered into just to get permanent resident status in Canada

      If your spouse or common-law partner is applying in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class, he or she must co-habit (live) with you in Canada.

      Dependent children

      If you’re sponsoring more than one dependent child, you must submit a complete set of application forms and documents for each.

      If you’re applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class, your spouse or partner may be able to apply for an Open Work Permit.