Super Visa for parents/ Grandparents


Any relative immigrating to Canada within the Family Class must have a sponsor.

Both the person sponsoring a relative and the person wishing to immigrate to Canada must meet certain requirements.

Applicants for permanent residence must go through:

  • medical exams
  • criminal checks
  • background checks

You can sponsor your parent or grandparent if you’re 18 years of age or older, living in Canada and a:

  • Canadian citizen or
  • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
  • permanent resident of Canada

Your responsibilities

When you sponsor a parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must:

  • meet certain income requirements
  • support that person and their dependants financially

You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that:

  • commits you to provide financial support for your relative (and any other eligible relatives accompanying them):
    • for a period of three to 20 years
    • depending on their age and relationship to you
    • beginning on the date they become a permanent resident.
  • states that the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support themselves.

Dependent children under age 19 do not have to sign the agreement.

Parents and grandparents super visa allows you to stay in Canada for up to two years.

You may need to go for an interview with a visa officer.